vendredi, août 18, 2006

This Black Girl Reads...and reads and reads and reads...


So I have an idea -- nebulous, nascent at best but an idea. I've decided to apply for this grant that allows me to put together an art project that can benefit the greater New York and I've decided to organize a weekend literary fest. I want to solicit new and established writers, in all genres, who would be willing to share their work. I want to put together panels with established writers. I want this weekend to run the gamut of anything and everything that is related to writing. And I want the focus to be people of color. I want to showcase the literary talents of people of color in New York in the Spring. Eventually, I'd like this to branch out into a full out arts festival: music, film, dance, literature, etc. But I want to start small first. So, I want to start an informal call. If there are any writers: professional, wannabes, or otherwise, who want to participate, let me know. Also let me know what you'd like to see as it pertains to writing and reading. I think people like maryann have done a great job encouraging people to read and creating opportunities that bring readers together. I want to do the same. In the coming weeks, more on this idea will be explored, including an official call for artwork, more details on the program, etc. Any thoughts?

"I have been unable to live an uncommitted or suspended life. I have not hesitated to declare my affiliation with an extremely unpopular cause" --- Edward Said

adumbrate -- transitive verb: 1. To give a sketchy or slight representation of; to outline.2. To foreshadow in a vague way.3. To suggest, indicate, or disclose partially.4. To cast a shadow over; to shade; to obscure