mercredi, novembre 16, 2005

Ode to 80s Nostalgia


This is a little something that I wrote in my Women's Writing Workshop class this evening:

I remember when Michael Jackson was Black or at least looked that way and Thriller was the album to beat

I remember Reaganomics and the beginning of the end

I remember bad yet endearing fashion trends --- what was it called when boys cut their hair and had that long piece of ponytail in the very back of their heads?


I remember Purple Rain, The Color Purple, Flashdance, Do The Right Thing, School Daze

I remember Double Dutch, Red Light/Green Light, Snaps and Breakdancing

I remember "Video Soul" and "Soul Train" back when Don Cornelius was still the host

I remember when MTV wouldn't play Black music or videos

I remember 25 cent stamps and tape decks

I remember he times when you could meet your party at the gate they were boarding out of at the airport

I remember when Black music videos had Black women in them


I remember when Janet was in "Control", Whitney was "So Emotional" and Anita had "Good Love"

I remember the 80s.

Argus-eyed - adj. Extremely observant; vigilant; having very keen vision; "quick-sighted as a cat"

"I have come to tell you you are beautiful. I believe you are beautiful, But that it not the issue. The issue is they want you dead"---Nicolas Guillen