samedi, novembre 19, 2005

What the F**k?!?!?!: Part of a Weekly Series


The stupifying lunacy of people never ceases to amaze me. Why do people both random and familiar feel the liberty to make comments about your person with an air of nonchalance and egregious entitlement. I am a woman of slim frame (I also prefer svelte) , a black woman of slim to be more specific and this alone presents a host of problems for me. I cannot tell you the amount of times I have had people that I have just recently met or known for a long time who randomly make comments about my weight:

"Are you a vegetarian? Because you're really thin".
"You need to gain weight".
"Oh, I didn't realize how skinny you are".
"Oooohhhh! You're so thin...Is everything ok?"
"I hate skinny women".

And all of these comments are made with a look of utter distaste and indictment, piercing me with their eyes. Many even take the liberty of putting their hands on me, poking at my collar bone, wrapping their fingers around my wrist as if to feel for a pulse... Now don't get me wrong, I'm not anorexic looking. I'm 5"7 138lbs but I have a thin frame. This treatment comes from both men and women.

My anger has runneth over. Who ever has the right to make comments on people's bodies? It would be one thing if it was a one or two time event but my weight always seems to be an issue that comes up. What the F**k?!

a·pha·sia -- n. Partial or total loss of the ability to articulate ideas or comprehend spoken or written language, resulting from damage to the brain caused by injury or disease

"I have come to tell you you are beautiful. I believe you are beautiful, But that it not the issue. The issue is they want you dead"---Nicolas Guillen